Friday, July 1, 2011

The Big Decompress

I've been wound up for about 3 years now. That's what I get, I guess, for having my first movie in my head for that long. I was not a documentarian when I began filming. I didn't know how to edit when I started editing. I still don't know how to record audio, even though I recorded at least half of it for the documentary and all of it for the short films we did in between. And I'm sure once the movie is on TV or wherever it ends up, I still won't have any idea how it got there.

My friends are amazing. Aaron still doesn't think he knows how to be a musician, but his music is a cornerstone of the film. He, Nick and Dave contributed invaluably to the movie. There were so many times I'd hit a wall then they would conveniently email me a new track that seemed to work perfectly. Ryan's cinematography definitely lends the film a warmth and care and I did nothing but it pace out. Some of the best scenes are those that I had nothing to do with: Nathan, Jason and Jesse wandering around Cowboy Church, for example. Though he doesn't think so, Jesse really structured the movie with his interviews, gave it a direction. He paved the roads I drove the car down. Her name isn't anywhere on it, but Emma watched the film a million times and told me what sucked and what didn't. I would have also had a mental collapse had she not been around, so if there's a credit for "Key Emotional Grip" she gets it. And though for the last four or five months I climbed into a hole to get this thing edited on time, I was always asking the Shawn in my brain what he thought. So, thanks for that everyone. 

Now I'm in the middle of decompressing. I keep telling myself that it isn't a day process but maybe months. I want to jump into something new right away, of course, but it's hard even to write a movie review let alone something more creatively challenging. I'll know when the time is right, and it might not be now. I have some aces up my sleeve, though. Lots of stuff rolling toward the page and the screen alike. I have a comic book, a short documentary, two video essays (previously mentioned) and a script that finally has a title. I've also started the slow process of getting the doc sold. So. Plenty to do. I don't know how to do any of them, but I'll figure it out.

No comments: