Friday, May 21, 2010

Tucker Doin' Work

Here's my first attempt at editing to / with Dave's music (Nick's will come a bit later in the movie).



Tucker's story is a bit more complicated to work with than Mike and Zack's. This is just the first portion, and it is without the true end to this sequence where Tucker talks about winning. I can already see a couple of places I can shave down, but I think it's pretty watchable and all came together in a burst yesterday and today.

There's a tone shift with Tucker, and I hope the way I edited it does justice to the send off "It's not about the money, it's about the competition." This definitely wouldn't have worked without the music. It sails us through the middle of the rodeo and helps a lot with the more difficult segments to edit. Competition is not only aesthetically difficult to piece together, but just simply getting the information across to the audience is a lot harder than the previous stories.

How does it feel? I'd like to know your thoughts. I know it's not as directly emotionally engaging as Mike and Zack, but as Tucker's various segments come together I think there will be a nice balance between his story and the other's featured so far.

From here, we'll do a loop backwards in time. Tucker's going to talk about his switch from cowboy to english jumper, then we'll get his back story, and then his story will continue forward. From there (I think) we'll go into Mule Days itself.

We leave on Thursday morning. I'll wait to post a comprehensive version until closer to this year's Mule Days, since I have a few days to do some touch up work. The next thing I post will be the version that we'll bring to Bishop this year to show various town and rodeo leaders.

2 comments:

Shawn said...

Including the line "It's not the money, it's the competition I guess" blatantly panders to sentiment, especially when who the hell thinks these people do it for the money? Also, what about the other sequence with the father talking about the dying tradition of mule packing and the uncertain legacy of his cherished sport? I see your edits develop as a script, and like a script (I say this as a mutual offender) I see your edits begin with a romantic image of your subjects and whittle into an image of natural grace. Whittle the fuck out of this sequence, I say.

joe said...

Workin on the grace part, workin on it