Friday, January 15, 2010

Save the Regency


2 blocks from my house a lovely movie theater is facing demise.

Here's an LA Times article about it. Here's a Larchmont Chronicle article about it.

I'm trying to get ahold of a petition to sign, but until then:

You can email Councilman Paul Koretz at paul.koretz@lacity.org


Dear Councilman Koretz,

I live a couple of blocks from the corner of Fairfax and Beverly, where the Regency Fairfax Theatre stands today. I have lived here since last year and, to be perfectly honest, I moved here because I was drawn to the community of cinema lovers that spans down Beverly Boulevard all the way to La Brea. The Regency Fairfax Theatre is an historical and cultural staple of our neighborhood, and I am saddened to hear of its potential demise. I'd like to urge you to listen to the community, and help establish the building as a Los Angeles Historic Cultural Landmark. We are organizing, signing petitions, and trying to save a theatre that has given this neighborhood great joy for many decades. The Fairfax Theatre has done more to unite this community than any apartment complex could ever do. Please help us save it.

Thanks for your time,
Joseph Peeler

1 comment:

Shawn said...

Ask Peter to write a letter to the LA Times. Tell him if he does, you'll forget the $50 he owes you.