Friday, August 14, 2009

$7.92

I apologize for the failure to post anything in these last couple of weeks. I have one week left of work on the Awful Reality TV Show, and it has been taking up all of my time. I can't really say anything about the show, but I think this exchange sums it up:

Director [over walkie]: X for Joe.

Joe: Go for Joe.

Director: Joe, we need you to come to the backyard and spread the dog shit around so the midgets can pick up the dogshit.

Joe, agape: Okay, but if you can tell me a better metaphor for all of reality television, let me know.

One of the reasons I didn't take the job in South Carolina is because of a line in the Bhagavad Gita via Franny and Zooey, which I was rereading a the time: "You have the right to work, but for the work's sake only. You have no right to the fruits of the work." I was worried that I would take the job for the money alone, so I didn't.

Unfortunately, I think I have fallen into that same trap with the TV work here in LA. Due to various ill-planned payments and getting hosed by taxes (thank you California budget crisis), I'm going to make about 1300$ less than I thought I was, and the time-suck is totally not worth it. I'm not really getting anything done, no energy for writing (13 hour days minimum), no time for anything but reading really, very little time at home. In fact, I worked out my hourly wage. It is very much less than the lowest amount I was making in High School.

So, if I owe you long conversations on the phone, or more attention, or I miss you, I'll see or talk to you in a week.

No comments: