Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Don't talk down to old people -- it will kill them

Apparently a new study shows that using 'elderspeak' -- like calling old ladies Sweetie and Dear -- is diminishing to their health. So remember: don't use dated vocabulary with old people.

“People think they’re being nice,” said Elvira Nagle, 83, of Dublin, Calif., “but when I hear it, it raises my hackles.”


I'll give you a moment to take in just how amazing that quote is.


ALSO, in preparation for tonight's second debate. I find it thoroughly ridiculous that McCain has switched to character attack during a giant economic crisis. This Keening Five thing is a pretty annoying response, too. Look at this quote:

In the speech, Mr. McCain repeatedly tried to paint Mr. Obama as a largely unknown, risky choice. “I didn’t just show up out of nowhere,’’ Mr. McCain said to cheers, seeking to draw a contrast with Mr. Obama. He said that “even at this late hour in the campaign, there are essential things we don’t know about Senator Obama or the record that he brings to this campaign.’’

A big part of me is thinking: are you people dense? Just replace every "Obama" with "Palin" and you have the same problem ten fold. Twenty fold! I think this is so tiresome because I really used to like McCain. There was a point in the campaign where I thought, "Who am I going to vote for?" That moment is long, long passed unfortunately.

Here's a fact check for you, if you'd like.

"...the McCain campaign was pushing in a steady stream of e-mail messages to reporters and supporters — and suggested again that Mr. Obama was “not one of us.”

No comments: