Friday, November 30, 2007

movies about sad and vile people






Baumbach makes movies that I get, sometimes intensely get, more than movies that I'd like to make. From the start Margot really lands close to home. I know these people. I know about a mother with braces, trying to retroactively fit an image of youth that wasn't there in the first place. I know what it means when, twenty years too late, Pauline tells Margot, "I like R.E.M. now." It's sad to me that one of my bands has come to represent this impotence, but it makes it no less true. It is irony and distant people that he is fighting against. People who wait for music to come to them.


I am going to go see this Juno movie with some friends, because I want to know if I legitimately hate it. I fucking despise this trailer. It is the epitome of hipster irony, an entire youth culture strangled to death by knowledge. These are the people I have come up around. These are the people I try to get away from in action and in thought. Girls who cope with the most difficult of situations with witty banter and hyper self-awareness. I'll have to really sit down and think about how to articulate my rage, but it's here and festering currently.

That ain't no etcha-sketch. This is one doodle that can't be undid, home skillet.

Vile. I could hurt someone. I think maybe Juno thinks it is ironizing these people. I am not fully convinced it is even that self-aware (though surely if you follow the logic of the characters it probably is).But. Even if it were ironizing these people, that's just reinforcing them as the norm. There's a right way and a wrong way to do these kind of things and this movie just looks so god damned derivative and half-thought and wrong. This is not what we need. I don't need this bullshit in my face.

The line "Out dealing with things way beyond my maturity level" really hones this hate into a point. Thank you for that, Juno.



On a better note, I saw The Future is Unwritten. It was very, very good. I cried. It has a strange inherent flaw, but it overcomes it even though it takes the long way around the barn.

No comments: