Saturday, September 8, 2007

Anecdote



There was this moment in the trip when I realized my pilgrimage was kind of empty, but I came back to the city after a week of travel without my bag. I had no camera, no books to lug, no luggage. I've come to loathe that word, luggage. Lug. Lug. What a horrible word. When I got there the first time, I was rained out. The second time through, though, something happened that had not been a possibility for the previous five weeks: I was alone. My immediate companions, the bag, its contents, got left behind in my room. My room, actually, being no small feat, holding only myself.
For over a month straight I had immediate responsibility to a number of people, every day. I was never alone. There was one day this whole time, one day and one night, that I had no roommate. I had no host. No need to be with someone or go somewhere, meet up with or give directions, go to another god damned museum. It was good.



I also found a giant Marcello Mastroianni. If you don't know who he is, please refer to every Italian movie ever made.

Anyways, this was a stupid rambly post. I apologize. Mainly I just wanted to break the ice and get the posting going again. More than a little disappointed...the numbers for last month and this month are incredibly low. Eh, annoying. I'm watching I Am Trying To Break Your Heart again, this time thinking about the approach to documentaries. Plenty more to talk about, plenty more going on. Plenty more soon.

No comments: